Well That Was Unexpected

OK so: my music player has a fitness application that can track one's approximate distance, calories burned, and average minutes per mile as you go; occasionally the disembodied voice of somebody famous will pop up at the end of your workout: Hi, this is Tiger Woods; you've just burnt a lot of calories, hurray for you (I'm paraphrasing because I'm not actually interested in anything Tiger Woods has to say to me, but you get the idea).

SO: Today was just not a good running day for me.  There was a turn-around at an easy distance, a slight side cramp, some nose-blowing (I'll spare you the details), and what felt like a lot of walking.  The thought that kept creeping in: this distance used to be comfortable for me... how have I taken such a leap backward?

I was feeling so defeated as I schlunked through my front door, removing the armor I've collected for cold-weather running, when the voice of Joan Benoit Samuelson -- Olympian gold medalist, amazing marathoner, frequent record-setter in the Big Race for which I'm training -- pipes into my headphones with a chipper
"Congratulations, you've just recorded a new personal best for the mile!"
and I just broke down crying.

I'm running out of concrete reasons to keep training, but: is it weird to keep going for Joan?  I think that might actually work.

Comments

Popular Posts